Re: Forms 4.5: problem with the size of the *.fmb files

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU>
Date: 1995/12/15

Paul,

Much of the code DIANA and P-code stored in an FMB file is useless, and should not be stored there. Each time I open a form in the Designer, it re-compiles all the code which accesses the database. That's why it takes longer to open my form when connected than when disconnected. I suspect it re-compiles ALL code.

You can also observe this after opening and generating a form: Disconnect and reconnect, and then try generating. The generate step takes about as long as first opening the form. But subsequent re-generate steps are fast (and I thank you all at Oracle for that).

So my point is that there is no advantage in storing compiled code in the .FMB file if it is discarded and redone each time a form is opened. It is just wasting space.

Do you not agree?

Regards,
Steve Cosner

<snip>