Re: Hot backups vs. Offline Backups

From: Bill Manry - Oracle Corp. <bmanry_at_ibmgate-aix.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/12/15

Paul Roberts (proberts_at_isc901.jsc.nasa.gov) wrote: [...]
>You should reconsider backing up database files while they are in use!
>Have you considered the problems with concurrency you'll have if you
>ever have to use those files for something? If you back the DB up while
>someone is half-way through a large import or update, the timing between
>the ".dbf" files and the ".log" files is going to make your backup
>totally useless!

Maybe I missed something in this thread but I thought the topic was hot backups, which we specifically support with the ALTER TABLESPACE...BEGIN/END BACKUP command. This pertains to tablespace-oriented backup, of course, but it does address the issue of consistency of the backup relative to active transactions.

/b

--
Bill Manry  -  Mainframe and Integration Technologies  -  Oracle Corporation
Standard disclaimer applies.