Re: Hot backups vs. Offline Backups

From: Paul Roberts <proberts_at_isc901.jsc.nasa.gov>
Date: 1995/12/15

> Re: Hot backups vs. Offline Backups
>
> jklaren_at_qualcomm.com (Jon Klaren)
> Thu, 14 Dec 1995 03:58:46 GMT
> QUALCOMM, Incorporated; San Diego, CA, USA
>
> Newsgroups:
> comp.databases.oracle
>
> You may want to consider just a good application to work with your
> backup system to have a complete backup. If your system is like ours,
> shutting down the database is more problematic than the time it takes
> to mirror or backup the server. One package that I understand is on
> the market is St. Bernard's Open File Manager. It apparently works
> with all backup systems from ArcServe to Colorado, and will allow them
> to backup Oracle or any other file system even if there are users
> logged in and making changes to the files. We are going to be getting
> an evaluation copy inhouse and see how it works? You can contact them
> at www.stbernard.com or on compuserve at GO STBERNARD.
> badri_at_cc.gatech.edu (badri) wrote:
> >Hi:
> > We run Oracle Version 7.2.16.0 on Dynix/ptx 2.1. We currently
 have
> >triple mirroring and shut the database down to back it up.
> > There was a discussion earlier about hot backups with efficient
> >striping. I am a newbie and would like to get expert opinion on the
 same.
> >Has anyone had a positive/negative experience with hot backups? What
> >to I stand to loose? Is performance ok with it? We are also looking
 at
> >migrating to Dynix/ptx v4.1. Has anybody experienced any version
> >incompatibility with it?
> >thanks a lot,
> >-Badri

You should reconsider backing up database files while they are in use! Have you considered the problems with concurrency you'll have if you ever have to use those files for something? If you back the DB up while someone is half-way through a large import or update, the timing between the ".dbf" files and the ".log" files is going to make your backup totally useless!

HOWEVER, if you export the database, Oracle guarantees that you will have a copy of the database contents which is internally consistent. You can back this file up whenever you want.

Remember, without concurrency, you really don't have much of an RDBMS!

    _   _  _ _  __    : Paul Roberts
   |_  |_|  |  |      : Programmer / Analyst
    _| | | _|_ |__    : proberts_at_isc901.jsc.nasa.gov

   (An employee-owned company)

  The opinions expressed are my own, and not necessarily   the views of SAIC, NASA, or the U.S. government. Received on Fri Dec 15 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message