Re: Performance Advice Wanted

From: Rich Holoch <holoch_at_ccnet.com>
Date: 1995/12/14

I have found that server side data loading is almost always better than client server data loading. (Certainly on UNIX). You want to use the fastest processor(s) that you can, and even more importantly, you want to tune out all disk I/O contention. I highly recommend Bradmarks DBGENERAL Performance Monitor and SQLTools, Inc. ExplainSQL to help you monitor performance. Oracle Performance Tuning by O'Reilly is a great book . . . .

I would also try different array sizes for your bulk data loads (buffer sizes) at the application level (SQL*Loader). You might want to tune DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS, LOG_BUFFER, SORT_AREA_SIZE and SHARED_POOL_AREA in your init.ora file. The goal would be to do more work in memory and less on your PC disks.

If you are using a PC server with your database spread across one or two disks, you are probably I/O bound.

Rich Holoch
Pathfinder Solutions Received on Thu Dec 14 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message