Re: Oracle TCP/IP Protocol Adapter for Windows, TNS errors! How to solve?

From: Dave Waddell <waddell_at_POSC.org>
Date: 1995/12/14

You are probably trying to connect to the wrong port on the listener server. I created an alias called test and it added two port addresses, one on 1521 and one on 1526. Our Oracle listener service is on port 1525. If you are running NIS (YP):
% ypcat services|grep -i ora
orasrv 1525/tcp oracle # Oracle listener process Otherwise:
% grep -i ora /etc/services
#ORACLE SQL*net
orasrv 1525/tcp

Original entry in C:\Orawin95\Network\Admin\Tnsnames.ora test.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =

(COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = hp867)
(Port = 1521)
) (ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = hp867)
(Port = 1526)
)

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = test)
    )
  )

Edited to read:
test.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =

(COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = hp867)
(Port = 1525)
) (ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = hp867)
(Port = 1526)
)

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = test)
    )
  )

Connecting to HPUX (version 9.00) on an HP 9000/867 running Oracle 7.0.16.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After I did this and then ran:
thsping test.world 5
from Windows95 MSDOS prompt. It came back with Bad TNS packet then spewed out a couple of lines of binary garbage. After this happened no one could connect to the database via TCP/IP. I reported this problem to Oracle but have had no response.

On 7 Dec 1995, Ronald van der Burg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for reading. We have a problem to get "Oracle TCP/IP Protocol Adapter
> for Windows" running under Windows NT 3.51 and Windows  95. Although the
> manual states explicit that this Oracle product "is supported running under
> Windows NT Version 3.1 or 3.5" we can't get it working. Oracle support tells
> us that they cannot give support since they don't support it (product
> version 2.1.4.1.3A, dated february 1995)!?!?!?
>
> The problem is as follows. The Oracle TCP/IP Protocol Adapter is installed
> using the normal Oracle install program. For TCP/IP, the Winsock 1.1 and
> Windows NT TCP/IP option is selected. After the install program has finished,
> we tried to ping the database. All we get is the error message "ORA-12203 TNS:
> unable to connect destination".
>
> We know the server is working, we have one client system using Windows 3.11
> which works. It is also possible to login via TCP/IP into the server using a
> simple terminal program, so the server name (and IP address) is resolved
> correctly. We don't know why we cannot ping the database.
>
> Does anyone have any idea???
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Ronald

|    Dave Waddell           | Disclaimer - I don't even speak for myself |
|    waddell_at_posc.org       | DoD#1875 CMRA#464                          |
|    kb5wxe_at_kb5wxe.ampr.org | + 1 713 267 5103                           |