Re: Where is the newsgroup for SQL Anywhere ?

From: Francisco Casas <fcasas_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/12/14

Thomas,

Saying that your gateway kit is better than Open Server does not make it so. It must have better features and be proven in the market place.

You only use the gateway kit for gateways. We use our Open Server, not only for gateways but for other things. Among those products are:

    Audit Server - provides extensive audits for SQL Server     Backup Server - provides parallel backup and restore of data     Sybase IQ - bit-mapped (not bit-wise) storage and indexing

                techniques.
    Replication Server - for heterogenous replication to data sources
                         that don't support things like 2PC.
    Sybase MPP - formerly known as Navigation Server.  This allows
                 for "loosely" clustering of SQL Servers.  In this
                 architecture very little is shared, no shared memory,
                 no shared disks...this protects customers from a
                 single point of failure.  Compare this to tighly
                 coupled clusters where single points of failure are
                 everywhere.

    OmniConnect - our gateways.

How can you compare what you call a gateway kit to a product that is used for products that are well beyond gateways? So what else does Oracle develop with its gateway kits besides gateways? How about Oracle's customers?

Oh, yeah, Open Server has been around for many years and some Sybase products based on this technology have been around since 1992. Why do we use it? It has several features that make it much easier to write compact multi-threaded servers (not just multi-processed based software).

Sybase customers use Open Server for many things. Among these uses are application servers, telemetry systems, and yes, customized gateways:

Application servers provide a very valuable function. They allow customers to write their business logic in a multi-threaded environment and no longer depend on the GUI or the database server for any business logic, that way if they are ever displeased with a GUI tool or a database server they can always replace it with little impact or additional cost to their business. This is possible because the most expensive part of a system is the application logic. So, in short it protects the business by providing an option to choose best of breed products such as GUI tools and data servers.

Yet another need is telemetry. In my days in international sales I use to have a customer who wrote a 24x7 telemetry system with 10,000 data points for the metro of a major city. This application allowed them to keep track of all the metro cars and make corrections accordingly.

There are other types of applications...

The bottom line, is that in each of the above applications the customers were able to write a multi-threaded application/server that would be much lighter to run than a single-threaded process based environment. Take the application server example, if you have 200 clients connecting to an application server, you could do that with one Open Server based application server. Without it you would end up with 200 discrete processes in your Unix/NT box, this would require more administration and resources to run.

Francisco

[snip]