Re: Problem connecting Oracle with Netscape

From: Sergei Viznyuk <sviznyuk_at_magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Date: 1995/12/13

In article <DJFvww.JAM_at_ulysses.homer.att.com>, Rajesh Chugani <rlc_at_ulysses.att.com> wrote:

>I am getting a problem when trying to run Netscape and Oracle. Oracle is
>giving me a error which says:
>
>oerr ora 12545
>12545, 00000, "TNS:name lookup failure"
>// *Cause: A protocol specific ADDRESS parameter cannot be resolved.
>// *Action: Ensure the ADDRESS parameters have been entered correctly;
>// the most likely incorrect value is the node name.
>
>The Oracle environment variables are set in the .profile and Netscape is
>not running on the root directory and the plain ProC program is running
>O.K.
>
>The problem seems to be with Netscape server not being able to view the
>environment variables.

"Netscape server"? I assume you mean httpd server. It doesn't give a *#$% about what you set in your .profile file.
You should set all necessary environmental variables explicitely in a script/program you are running.

In general the same holds not only for httpd server, but for cron jobs as well.

Serge