Re: FAQ? creating temp table (for Web app)

From: Kjell Wooding <kwooding_at_ingenia.com>
Date: 1995/12/13

In article <4afi2a$3n8_at_mozo.cc.purdue.edu>, laird_at_pasture.ecn.purdue.eduĂ  says...

<URL:http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/Oracle/>

>Any suggestions? I'm trying to come up with a clean way of
>making sure that I have a "private" table which does not
>persist even if my CGI process runs into problems.
>Unfortunately, "ORACLE7 - the Complete Reference" (Osborne)
>isn't quite complete enough for me.

Sure - if you're making your interface from the CGI, just create a temptabe that involves the current CGI process PID.

(temp.38412, or something).

In your CGI, you should test to see if this table exists before trying to create it. If so, it doesn't belong (it's YOUR Pid), so you can dump it and create a new one.

You can run a cron job every night to blow out all old tables for which a corresponding process doesn't exist.

--
Kjell Wooding                     :  kwooding_at_ingenia.com
Regional Manager, Western Canada  :  Phone: (604)472-6777