application specific char set

From: Frank Dippel <F_DIPPEL_at_TRASHCAN.MCNET.DE>
Date: 1995/12/11

We are developing a MS Windows application (using C and PL/SQL Release 2.0.18.1.0) that connects to an Oracle RDBMS (Release 7.0.16.6.0) running on a Netware Server.

The application is using a character set (W8PC850) that differs from the character set of the database and from other Oracle Tools (SQL*Plus, Browser) running with MS Windows (ANSI character set).

Is there a possibility to tell the Oracle database that the session created by the application is using a different char set ? (We can't use the NLS_LANG parameter of the win.ini, because there are oracle tools used that work with the ANSI-Character set !)

Thanks for any hint

Frank                                     F_DIPPEL_at_trashcan.mcnet.de