Re: Relational Data Model definition needed

From: Eric Mortensen <mortense_at_cibadiag.com>
Date: 1995/12/11

sk952_at_gate.net (sam kern) wrote:
>What is meant by the term Relational Data Model,how does it relate to
>integration of different apps.eg; warehouse,equipment inventory, & work
>order
>applications.
>Thanks ahead of time
>sam

What I believe is ment my Relational Data Model is not based on application, but on how the database was designed. There are many diffrent ways to design a database, and one way is to design the design of your data based on relational database priciples. Now this can be done in several methods. One is to apply the principles of Functional Dependencies found in relational database theory. Another would be to use the principles the theory teach in desinging a database with Entity Relationship Diagrams.

Data Modeling deals with taking the information you would like to store in your database, and breaking it into the appropriate database tables, relationships, and constratints. Modeling often times takes translating English sentances into more logical constructs and understanding.

There is a lot more that can be said about this, but I thing this is answers your question.

Eric Mortensen
mortense_at_cibadaig.com Received on Mon Dec 11 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message