Re: Why Oracle Tools?......

From: Paul Roberts <proberts_at_isc901.jsc.nasa.gov>
Date: 1995/12/11

 wrote:
> > tluers_at_one.net (t) wrote:
> > >I'd love to hear your two cents worth to the folowing question:

> > >As a development environement that uses an Oracle server, why
 should I
> > >choose Oracle tools (Forms, Reprts, etc...) for my front end? Why
 not
> > >Delphi, Forte, VB, or others?
> >
> > I could give you some reasons why you should NOT choose Oracle
 tools:

> > 1. Oracle doesn't support Windows 95 or Windows NT. (They may run,
 but
> > try to ask Oracle support for help with any problems - they'll turn
> > you down immediately.)
> >
> > 2. The Oracle tools support only Oracle databases natively.
> >
> > 3. The UI produced by Oracle tools is generally unacceptable (lots
 of
> > quirks).
> >
> > 4. There are lots of limitations in the Oracle tools (e.g. error
> > messages cannot have more than 100 characters).
> >
> > 5. When you deploy applications written in Oracle tools, you'll get
> > lots of technical supprt questions because of UI intricacies,
 product
> > instability, etc.
> >
> > 6. Error messages produced at runtime are cryptic and difficult for
> > users to understand.
> >
> > My advice: forget Oracle tools, use VB or Delphi. They're modern,
> > flexible and extensible tools and support several different
> > databases.
> >
> > All opinions expressed here are mine, and not necessarily my
> > employer's.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jens R.

Unless they've improved the User Interface a lot since Forms 4.0, I'd have a hard time accepting Forms as a real development tool. The UI for Forms 4 was about the same as SQL*Forms 3. I almost never user the UI for Forms 3 -- just coded with a text editor -- the UI was that bad!!

When offered a choice between Forms 4.0 and PowerBuilder 2.0a, I chose PB. With all the improvements in PowerBuilder since then, I quess I'll never go back!

BTW, PB uses _native_ drivers for several databases, including Oracle.

    _   _  _ _  __    : Paul Roberts
   |_  |_|  |  |      : Programmer / Analyst
    _| | | _|_ |__    : proberts_at_isc901.jsc.nasa.gov

   (An employee-owned company)

  The opinions expressed are my own, and not necessarily   the views of SAIC, NASA, or the U.S. government. Received on Mon Dec 11 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message