Re: Problems with Motif Dev. 2000 products on SunOS

From: Rashid Karimov <rashid_at_rk.ios.com>
Date: 1995/12/10

msgbwtec_at_www.tstonramp.com wrote:
: I'm running Dev. 2000 products under Motif on SunOS. Or I should say I'm NOT running them.
: Attempted so far: Forms 4.5 and Graphics 2.5; also, Motif version of Server Manager.
: After installation they will not start up, with the system responding only "Bus error". Tech. support
: has offered little advice, except that maybe I should relink the executables. Not a good option,
: since I don't especially want to go spend several hundred dollars on the Motif developer's kit in
: order to get the needed Motif libraries. Question 1: is anyone else having this problem, and if so
: what solution have you come up with? Question 2: why can't Oracle deliver executable programs
: that run?

	I installed the thing (Developer 2000 for Solaris/Motif) a few
	days ago on Solaris 2.5/SS20.
	Wouldn't say the install was a breeze - I had to modify all
	the makefiles for the products on the CD to include 1 missing
	library ( from $ORACLE_HOME/lib/ ) - only after that I was
	able to run succesful install - with relinking.

	And guess what ... - it works ! :)

	Didnt do too much of extensive development yet but
	I was able to design and run a few simple kinda
	"Hello world" forms.
	The browser also works fine ... The look and feel
	is 100% the one from Dev2000 for MS Windows.

	As for Motif libraries - they come standrd with Sol 2.5.
	If some1 paid a small for ORACLE and Developer - why wouldn't
	he/she pay $600 for say Sol 2.5 - orr mucho less for the Motif
	only.

	Rashid

--

               Beyond the horizon of the place we lived when we were young
               In the world of magnets and miracles
               Our thoughts strayed constantly and without boundary
               The ringing of the division bell had begun ...
                        -=PF, The Division Bell=-