Re: PL/SQL ( sorry about previous )

From: Ken Denny <kdenny_at_mail.concentric.net>
Date: 1995/12/10

jtimmerm_at_alpha (Jan Timmermans) wrote:

[snip]

>When I use this code i get the following message:
>
> ORA-01405: fetched column value is NULL

[major snip]

Without delving into your code I can tell you that this error message will occur any time a host variable is assigned a null value within a block of PL/SQL code. If you have the statement:   :host_var:=null;
in a pice of PL/SQL code within a Pro*C program it will get that error, EVEN IF :host_var WAS ALREADY NULL BEFORE GOING IN. I have found that after any assignment to a host variable, if there is a possibility that null was assigned to put:
  if :host_var is null then

     :host_var:='!';
  end if;
I then check for '!' afterward in my C code.

Just about all the irritating things I have encountered with oracle have had to do with null values.

I hope this helps

Ken Denny
If any opinions were expressed here you can be sure that they were mine and not my employer's. Received on Sun Dec 10 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message