Re: Power Objects - Is there a market?

From: Rick Rutt <rrutt_at_delphi.com>
Date: 1995/12/10

EndUser <enduser_at_enduser.com> writes:

>i am, and ill tell you, Oracle may have a marketing line
>that places OPO below enterprise Forms, but it will make
>any screen better than VB, better than Forms, and better
>than Powerbuilder, in a fraction of the time, and you can
>get reports done in the same tools without a flinch.

Regarding Power Objects vs. Oracle Forms: Yes, that was part of my earlier reply that perhaps I did not make clear. Oracle's own marketing is downplaying the value of Power Objects vs. Oracle Forms (and the rest of Developer/2000). They should instead fix the bugs in Power Objects, release a quality version 2, and push Power Objects as their strategic toolset.

Regarding comparisons to Visual Basic:
To really compete with Oracle desktop tools in functionality, you must really include Microsoft Access and Visual Basic together. Access provides the "almost free" add,change,inquiry,delete functions that Oracle Forms and Power Objects provide. Visual Basic provides a "sports car" rapid application development environment for non-database environments, with a passing ability to also use databases. Access provides a full-featured desktop database, plus ODBC links to full-featured server databases. Both Access and Visual Basic share the same source-compatible programming language (as of their 32-bit versions).

Microsoft Access provides in a single tool the functionality of ALL of the following Developer/2000 tools, using a virtual memory footprint that is smaller than Oracle Forms alone:

  Oracle Forms
  Oracle Reports
  Oracle Browser
  SQL*Plus
  Personal Oracle

Power Objects/Blaze seems to be following this "keep it small and fast" approach, and so I hope it becomes a fully supported enterprise product.

  • Rick --

(Rick Rutt is a system architect living and working in Midland, Michigan.) Received on Sun Dec 10 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message