Re: Multiple Insert in Oracle

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1995/12/09

In article <49juq6$81m_at_btmpjg.god.bel.alcatel.be> ln21aib_at_btp.fac.alcatel.it (Piebro) writes:
>Hi. I am a newbie user of Oracle and I have a trouble.
>I am involved on a porting of a software package from Windows 3.x to
>SunOs. This package does use of BTRIEVE database. On BTRIEVE I can
>prepare in a memory area a number of records and then make only one INSERT operation
>to insert all records in database at same time.
>Can I do the same operation on ORACLE system ????
>Please Help Me.
>Thanks a lot.
>My email address is: ln21aib_at_fasm3c.btp.fac.alcatel.it.

Oracle does this transparantly. There is a dedicated process out there called the Database Writer that does nothing but check buffers in memory, to see if they have been changed, then writes them out. You can tune Oracle to have multiple Database Writers, and even stuff in parallel. You can also use Oracle products to bulk load lots of data. It depends what you are doing. Get a copy of the Server Concepts manual.

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>