Re: Oracle listerner problem

From: Jim Gregory <jim.gregory_at_DaytonOH.attgis.com>
Date: 1995/12/08

We've periodically had this same problem with SQL*Net V1.x - orasrv hanging on ATT unix boxes. We'll go through a week or 2 at a time without being able to keep orasrv up for an hour at a time. Then, mysteriously, it'll stabalize for several weeks. ORACLE's response: Upgrade to SQL*Net V2.x. We also use WOllongong stacks but do not believe it's related to the server problem.

One week we were so desparate that we used a cron process to shutdown and startup orasrv every 15 minutes.

I know this is no help, but we've been trying to find an answer for over 3 months to this periodic problem. We have some applications that we have no option except to stick with V1.x for the time being.

Jim Gregory
>>==========Man-yuen Cheung, 12/8/95==========
>>
>>I have a mystery problem with Oracle and hope somebody have the answer.
>>We are running Oracle7 on SCO Unix server with SQLNET v1. with a
>>single PC client as a demo unit. We are using 10Base2 cable between them.
>>Everything works in house but when we bring the unit on site for demo.
>>Sometime, the application that's written in Powerbuilder would hang. After
>>further troubleshooting, we found out that the oracle listerner would
>>stop responsing on the server. If you do "tcpctl status", it would hang
>>and nothing show and you have to do Crtl-C to break out, but the funny
>>thing you could still ping the server from client or vice versa. We
>>have tried different cable, network card, server with same setup. The
>>problem
>>still happens outside the office. When we bring the unit back and it would
>>work like a champ. Ususally, we have to restart the database or listerner.
>>Could it be power source related or interference? Any suggestion would
>>be appreciated.
>>
>>BTW, we are using Wollongong Pathway TCP/IP stack on the client PC.

Views and opinions expressed are mine and do not reflect my empoyer's or client's. Received on Fri Dec 08 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message