Re: HELP! (AKA Those whacky users...)

From: Mike Morgan <mike.morgan_at_teldta.com>
Date: 1995/12/08

>>Tim,
>> Try enclosing the table name in double quotes.
>>
>>D. Kim Hughes

>Thanks to all who responded via the service and email. The solution expressed
>herein was pretty much the general consensus. So I tried it, using both
>single- and double-quoted strings (ie: drop table "apparent_table_name ";).
>The results were:
>Single quotes: ORA-00903: invalid table name
>Double quotes: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

[snip]

>Another interesting note (to me, anyway): The dump() function has revealed
>that the trailing character is character 64. On the IBM VM, this would be
>EBCDIC 64, or hex 40, or a space, or so I'm told. Maybe I've got the wrong
>'space'?!
>Thanks again, and if anyone has any other (fit to print) suggestions, I'm
>listening!
>
>Tim.

Tim,

You might try putting the tablename in upper case within the double quotes. When you select table_name from dba_tables does it show up in upper case? If it has a trailing space, the only way it could have gotten there is within double quotes.

So...

   SQL> drop table "APPARENT_TABLE_NAME ";

should work for you.

HTH

--
Mike Morgan
Technology Integration Services - Unix DBA

email: mike.morgan_at_teldta.com

TDS Computing Services
301 S. Westfield Road
Madison, WI 53705  USA
(608)845-4661

"Murphy's Law of computing:  Anything that can go wrSegmentation fault(coredump)"