Re: Where is the newsgroup for SQL Anywhere ?

From: Thomas J Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/12/08

fcasas_at_ix.netcom.com (Francisco Casas) wrote:

>ding...ding...ding...round...

>In <4a75mm$nci_at_inet-nntp-gw-1.us.oracle.com> tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
>(Thomas J Kyte) writes:

 [snip]

>>It is very clear you don't read messages very closely. I wasn't
>>critiqueing by the way, I was quoting information.
>##
>Boy, you have a short memory! Take a look at your original posting.
>You were certainly critiqueing and stated the erroneous information
>as fact! Never quoting a source mind you...
>##
This is from the original posting:

   "Is PC magazine incorrect then when the December 19'th issue states     that it needs 8meg of ram and 20mb of disk?"

First sentence. Quoting a source, gave the date and everything. Read the message again.

Read my other post where I made it a little more clear for you. I put the paragraphs in verbaitam.

>>BTW:
>>Oracle has in production two toolkits
>>- Procedural Gateway Developers kit
>>- Transparent Gateway Developers kit.
>>
>##
>Once again, you (Oracle) do not have an equivalent product to Sybase's
>Open Server. It is clear that you don't understand Open Server since
>you are comparing it to a gateway kit.

>Open Server is a library for writing compact multi-threaded servers.
>Open Server 11 has several services included, such as directory
>services. Sybase uses Open Server to write many of its own products,
>such as the Sybase Replication Server, Sybase MPP, and OmniConnect.

That sounds a lot like a gateway kit to me. How is that NOT a gateway kit? Lets try an Oracle spin on your paragraph:

PGDK and TGDK are libaries for writing compact servers that allow you to take full scalable advantage of your SMP environment and also ensure that if one thread crashes or behaves 'badly' the entire server does not go down with it. The PGDK and TGDK allow full use of all Oracle services including directory (location) services, network transparency, etc. Oracle uses these kits to write many of its own products such as the Transparent gateway to Sybase, Informix, Optical Jukeboxes, etc and the Procedural Gateway to APPC as a couple of examples.

Remember I did say they were not equivalent, I said ours was a better implementation of the equivalent functionality and more.

>[snip]

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government Received on Fri Dec 08 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message