Re: Where is the newsgroup for SQL Anywhere ?

From: Francisco Casas <fcasas_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/12/08

ding...ding...ding...round...

In <4a75mm$nci_at_inet-nntp-gw-1.us.oracle.com> tkyte_at_us.oracle.com (Thomas J Kyte) writes:

 [snip]

>It is very clear you don't read messages very closely. I wasn't
>critiqueing by the way, I was quoting information.
##
Boy, you have a short memory! Take a look at your original posting. You were certainly critiqueing and stated the erroneous information as fact! Never quoting a source mind you... ##

>BTW:
>Oracle has in production two toolkits
>- Procedural Gateway Developers kit
>- Transparent Gateway Developers kit.

##
Once again, you (Oracle) do not have an equivalent product to Sybase's Open Server. It is clear that you don't understand Open Server since you are comparing it to a gateway kit.

Open Server is a library for writing compact multi-threaded servers. Open Server 11 has several services included, such as directory services. Sybase uses Open Server to write many of its own products, such as the Sybase Replication Server, Sybase MPP, and OmniConnect.

Sybase customers use Open Server for many things. One of the common uses of this technology is integrate a wide range of data sources, such as satellintes, with compact "multi-threaded" servers. Others use this technology to write application servers. Application servers provide a very valuable function. They allow customers to write their business logic in a multi-threaded environment and no longer depend on the GUI or the database server for any business logic, that way if they are ever displeased with a GUI tool or a database server they can always
replace it with little impact or additional cost to their business. This is possible because the most expensive part of a system is the application logic. So, in short it protects the business by providing an option to choose best of breed products such as GUI tools and data servers. Yet another need is telemetry. In my days in international sales I use to have a customer who wrote a 24x7 telemetry system with 10,000 data points for the metro of a major city. This application allowed them to keep track of all the metro cars and make corrections accordingly. There are other types of applications...

The bottom line, is that in each of the above applications the customers were able to write a multi-threaded application/server that would be much lighter to run than a single-threaded process based environment. Take the application server example, if you have 200 clients connecting to an application server, you could do that with one Open Server based application server. Without it you would end up with 200 discrete processes in your Unix/NT box, this would require more administration and resources to run. ##
[snip]