Re: Where is the newsgroup for SQL Anywhere ?

From: Thomas J Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/12/07

fcasas_at_ix.netcom.com (Francisco Casas) wrote:

>Hi Kyte,

>Since when have you (an Oracle employee) have become an authority
>on Sybase products? Please see my comments to your misinterpretations
>of the facts about Sybase products. Look at the ## markings for my
>comments.
No mis interpretations here.

>>To use Open Client don't you also need to use an OpenServer Gateway on
>>the PC (except of course on Windows 95 where this won't be an option,
>##
>You are wrong. Open Client DOES NOT need an Open Server at the client.
>Open Client is the equivalent of your (Oracle's) OCI and SQL*Net
>combination. Unlike the Oracle architecture where SQL*Net is required
>for both the client and the server, Sybase does not require that
>Net-Lib (a component of Open Client and the equivalent of SQL*Net)
>reside on the server.

Read the message, I was talking about Open Client Access to SQL Anywhere. I KNOW Open Client doesn't need an Open Server at the client. The PC mag article said that Open Client to SQL Anywhere is supported via an Open Server. If the client IS the server (standalone pc), Open Client and Server would be on the same platform. Open Client is one Win95, Open Server for SQL Anywhere is not.

>It is very clear to me that you don't understand Sybase's products at
>all. Don't critique things you don't understand. For your information
>take a look at my earlier posting explaining what Open Server is all
>about. BTW, you (Oracle) don't have an Open Server equivalent, so I
>can understand why this is a foreign concept to you.

It is very clear you don't read messages very closely. I wasn't critiqueing by the way, I was quoting information.

BTW:
Oracle has in production two toolkits
- Procedural Gateway Developers kit
- Transparent Gateway Developers kit.

The PGDK allows you to build your own 'RPC'. Basically client calls pl/sql, pl/sql executes code you write in the procedural gateway. PGDK supports all SQL and pl/sql types. PGDK even allows you to 2pc with it if you want to. For example we have developed a PG to APPC which allows a pl/sql stored procedure to invoke and interact with any CICS transaction on a mainframe.

The TGDK allows you to build what appears to be an Oracle Server. It accepts SQL and allows you to do whatever you want with it. For example, people have built a transparent gateway to optical jukeboxes, allowing you to "select * from jukebox" to retrieve images and other large offline blobs transparently from sql. TGDK even allows you to 2pc with it if you want to. We use these toolkits to build gateways to things like Sybase, Informix, etc to include 2pc as well.

You are right though, we don't have an Open Server equivalent-- We have something better. Don't critique what you don't know.

>##
>>the PC (except of course on Windows 95 where this won't be an option,
>>no Open Client/dblib access on standalone PC's), wouldn't this as well
>##
>What are you talking about? Open Client for Win95 is available.
>##

Never said open client wasn't, said open server for sql anywhere isn't.

>>bump up the requirements? On a standalone Windows95, SQL Anywhere
>>really only supports ODBC and 4gls like Powerbuilder since the
>>OpenServer won't run there.
>##
>Again, you display your lack of knowledge about Sybase products.
>Open Client is available for Windows95. Where did you get that
>Open Server is required on the client? From your Oracle marketing
>team?
>##

PC Magazine.

 [snip]

>>Thomas Kyte
>>tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
>>Oracle Government

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government Received on Thu Dec 07 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message