7.1.6 & Select long for update hanging

From: Barry Roomberg <barry_roomberg_at_iacnet.com>
Date: 1995/12/07

Currently moving from 7.1.4 to 7.1.6, SCO Unix 3.2.4.2 on Dell OmniPlex P90, 192 MB memory.

If I select a long field and say "for update" any field, my sql query will hang and chew up all the CPU cycles IF there is no data in the long field. If there is data, works fine. If I don't "for update", works fine. "NOWAIT" or lack of "NOWAIT" has no effect. I have to alt-console and kill the process.

Originally the statement was part of a dynamic level 4 pro-c code chunk, so I know that it failed after DECLARING the cursor and in the actual OPEN call. I isolated the SQL statement out of the C code and am now testing in SQL-PLUS.

It actually DOES lock the record, since I have to wait for the lock to be cleaned up before I test again.

Yes, it worked fine under 7.1.4.

Oracle support is "working" on it.
Any ideas while I'm waiting for the callback?

E-Mail is appreciated since it'll beep me. I'll post the final fix (assuming there is one). Received on Thu Dec 07 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message