Re: Power Objects - Is there a market?

From: Michael Taylor <mtaylor_at_postoffice.ptd.net>
Date: 1995/12/07

In article <tcoxDJ51w7.2uu_at_netcom.com>, tcox_at_netcom.com says...
>mtaylor_at_postoffice.ptd.net (Michael Taylor) wrote:
>Bwah hah hah hah! Ignoring for just a moment Oracle's incredible CASE
>offerings on MS Windows (you did say 'all' products, did you not?) I
>can't believe you actually think that, say, Oracle Forms 4.5 is 'at
>least a year behind in features/stability' compared to, say,
>PowerBuilder.
>(I can't imagine comparing Forms to VB or Delphi -- one's a development
>environment, and the others are semi-OO languages. Let's stick with
>Forms and PB.)
><snip>
>UNLESS... you use CASE-generated code. In which case the CASE generated
>app is generally 3x more stable. Since you can generate either product
>from CASE, again it's a wash. Generally, now, generally.
>But features? Someone tell me about the hidden PB features that put it
>in front of Oracle Forms. Seriously.
>Either Portland isn't getting the same trade journals the rest of the
>world gets, or I'm somehow not up to speed on the latest PB coolness --
>I would have handed the prize for the feature race to Forms.
>Your input welcome...
>
> -Tom

I haven't had the 'pleasure' of benefitting from Oracle's CASE offerings but do get a raft of bug reports daily from the OCSIG listserver. Have you had much success with generated code?

We've used Oracle*CASE 5.0 and 5.1 with much success on Upper case modeling, and DDL generation, but the code has not been impressive. Are you able to generate robust user interfaces (non-modal, "OpenForm versus CallForm" etc)? The few CASE generated apps I've seen remind me of character-based apps with a few push-buttons thrown in and are for the most part modal.

I don't think the current CASE offering supports MDI and I'm curious how it creates multi-window, non-modal forms. I really don't want to bash the product, but just haven't seen enough 100% generation success stories to stay with it...

BTW - my original post just mentioned Powerbuilder in passing, its Delphi that Oracle really lags behind!!! (As always, just an opinion).

  • Mike