Re: Patrol/DBVision

From: Arlynn Leapaldt <arlynn_leapaldt_at_cargill.com>
Date: 1995/12/07

Just a note to let you know that we have completed our evaluation and have selected EcoTools from Compuware as the DB Monitoring tool for our corporation. The following is a brief recap of what we found in working with BMC Patrol, Platinum DBVision, and Compuware EcoTools.

Platinum:

+ Good graphics with stacking of multiple measures on same graph.

   Good tech support.
   Average sales support.
   Ran independent on remote servers without a central console.

  • Had multiple processes stay in database when being monitored. Used 2 - 7.5% of CPU and had multiple processes running while monitoring. Had difficulty installing on remote servers. Configuring environment was complex. Limited number of Unix monitors available. Required a database to store data on management console.

BMC:
+ Pleasing to the eye, icons make it easy to move to the desired

   area.
   Used minimal resources.
   Average tech support.
   Good sales support.

  • Had problems with install. Had number of problems with permissions. Hard to interpret reports and meters. Multiple step process in isolating problems. PCL scripts needed to enhance most monitors. A significant number of monitors did not provide enough information to resolve problems.

Compuware:

+ Used minimal resources.

   Processes did not stay open, performed the action then was removed.    Setting up monitor worked the first time and did not require    additional scripts or kernel parameter adjustments.    Drill down on datapoints revealed required information. Good tech    support.
   Good sales support.
   Assign agents to a role and roles to users. Can run agents on group of    servers.

  • Graphics need to be improved. Need integration of Explain Plan into product.