Re: How to find OS username for a session??

From: John Jones <john_at_iluvatar.tip.duke.edu>
Date: 1995/12/06

On 6 Dec 1995, Donna Kray wrote:

> What view do I need to use to find the OS username for that paricular
> session? I am using it in a trigger to update an "updated_by" field and I
> want username *and* the OS username. Is v$session the correct view? And
> if so, how do I get the data for only that particular session?
>
> SELECT USERNAME, OSUSER
> FROM ????
> [WHERE ????];
not sure about the OSUSER, but for the USERNAME just:

"select user from dual;"

dual is a dummy table used for this type of select, user will return the person logged on at the time this is issued. If like in our case, you use OPS$ that will be on there. To get rid of that just use:

select substr(user,5,10) from dual;

John Jones			| my views are my own.........
Oracle Consultant		| no matter what company they are
john_at_iluvatar.tip.duke.edu	| coming from.