Re: SQL-LOADER problem (VARCHAR2)

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU>
Date: 1995/12/06

How are you creating your data to input to the loader? In THAT step, you should remove the trailing spaces, and put the delimiter character used by the loader immediately after the "T" in "BOT".

That's how we do it. We're using a Cobol program to produce variable length records as input to the loader.

Hope this helps.
Steve Cosner

In article <4a3e0c$87t_at_marlin.upe.ac.za> ccajhr_at_upe.ac.za (J.H.Roux) writes: <with deletions>
> These actions are performed on
>data on our mainframe and uploaded nightly to the Oracle DB using SQL-LOADER.
>
>The subject codes are stored as VARCHAR2(5). On the mainframe they are stored
>as PIC XXXXX (COBOL). When we upload these subject codes using SQL-LOADER, we
>find that eg. the subject 'BOT' is NOT stored as 'BOT', but as 'BOT ' -
>trailing spaces - even though it is defined as VARCHAR2(5). This causes all
>kinds of problems.
<snip> Received on Wed Dec 06 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message