Re: Where is the newsgroup for SQL Anywhere ?

From: Francisco Casas <fcasas_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/12/06

Hi Kyte,

Since when have you (an Oracle employee) have become an authority on Sybase products? Please see my comments to your misinterpretations of the facts about Sybase products. Look at the ## markings for my comments.

Francisco
<my opnions are my own and not those of my employer)

In <49vbds$eq1_at_inet-nntp-gw-1.us.oracle.com> tkyte_at_us.oracle.com (Thomas J Kyte) writes:

>fcasas_at_ix.netcom.com (Francisco Casas) wrote:
>
>>Hi Sam,

>>You are correct. SQL Anywhere is 100% compatible with T-SQL and
>>Open Client. SQL Anywhere is targeted for single users (a small
>>footprint 1-2MB of RAM and ~10MB of disk) on MS-Windows. The NT
>>version targeted for the workgroup market (20 concurrent users
>>or there about), while SQL Server 11 is targeted at heavier loads.

>>Francisco
>
>Is PC magazine incorrect then when the December 19'th issue states
>that it needs 8meg of ram and 20mb of disk?
##
The run time environment I have for Sybase SQL Anywhere is taking up about 1.5MB of RAM and just under 10MB of disk space. ##

>To use Open Client don't you also need to use an OpenServer Gateway on
>the PC (except of course on Windows 95 where this won't be an option,
##
You are wrong. Open Client DOES NOT need an Open Server at the client. Open Client is the equivalent of your (Oracle's) OCI and SQL*Net combination. Unlike the Oracle architecture where SQL*Net is required for both the client and the server, Sybase does not require that Net-Lib (a component of Open Client and the equivalent of SQL*Net) reside on the server.

It is very clear to me that you don't understand Sybase's products at all. Don't critique things you don't understand. For your information take a look at my earlier posting explaining what Open Server is all about. BTW, you (Oracle) don't have an Open Server equivalent, so I can understand why this is a foreign concept to you. ##
>the PC (except of course on Windows 95 where this won't be an option,
>no Open Client/dblib access on standalone PC's), wouldn't this as well
##
What are you talking about? Open Client for Win95 is available. ##
>bump up the requirements? On a standalone Windows95, SQL Anywhere
>really only supports ODBC and 4gls like Powerbuilder since the
>OpenServer won't run there.

##
Again, you display your lack of knowledge about Sybase products. Open Client is available for Windows95. Where did you get that Open Server is required on the client? From your Oracle marketing team?
##

 [snip]