Re: Splitting this newsgroup ?

From: John Blackburn <jb2_at_qdot.qld.gov.au>
Date: 1995/12/06

Craig Harper (caharper_at_hooked.net) wrote:
: jb2_at_qdot.qld.gov.au (John Blackburn) wrote:
: >Steinar Gravdal (sgravdal_at_oslonett.no) wrote:
: >: Hi !

: >: Wouldn't it be a great idea to split this newsgroup into some
: >: smaller branches ? Oracle products are increasing very
: >: fast in numbers, and I have prolems following this
: >: group (among many others). I have some suggestions :

: >: comp.databases.oracle.dba
: >: comp.databases.oracle.financials
: >: comp.databases.oracle.cdetools
: >: comp.databases.oracle.dev2000
: >: comp.databases.oracle.po7

: >: and so on ....

: >: Anyone agree ?
: >
: >In theory, I agree, BUT...
: >I have noticed that a lot of questions are duplications of previously
: >answered questions. If there was a monthly posted FAQ that people
: >were encouraged to read before posting, I'm sure this would cut down a lot
: >on the traffic in this group and maybe the need/desire to split
: >would not be as great.
: >
: >Is there anyone out there who has the time to maintain such a monster
: >as a monthly posted FAQ?
: >
: >Perhaps then we could discuss splitting the FAQ instead of the group
: >if the FAQ became too large.
: >
: >John.
: >
: I think that you have something there John, but perhaps it would be
: easier to split the FAQ from the begining that way the person that
: maintains it wouldn't have to be a saint. I would consider taking a piece
: of the FAQ, Forms 4.X . Then others could take Reports etc. For one
: person to do eveything would be a fulltime job.

: How would it get posted, monthly, weekly, daily, etc.

: Craig Harper
: IFTN
That is a very good point. It would also make it easier for people trying to find answers. I guess that each FAQ could have pointers to other FAQ's if a particular question would be more fully covered by one of the other FAQ's.

I would suggest that each FAQ has in the first few lines the following text:

"If you are reading this FAQ and today is after <FAQ_DATE> then  this FAQ is out of date ..."

where <FAQ_DATE> is the date that the FAQ was posted.

Frequency of posting would probably need to be determined by the rate of additional questions/updated answers.

I would think that monthly would be often enough. Although I'd be happy if everyone decided that they should be posted more frequently.

Also a list of which questions/answers have been changed since the last posting and any new questions that have been added.

This way, whenever the FAQ is posted everyone can look at the first page and see if there is any new information.

So, rather than suggestions for new news groups, can we have some suggestions for FAQ's? and offers to maintain them :->

John.

--

John Blackburn                           Phone: +61 7 32534634
jb2_at_qdot.qld.gov.au                      Fax:   +61 7 38541194

"Please enclose a stamped, self-addressed ethernet packet with
 all correspondence..."

#include <std_disclaimers.h>