Re: Splitting comp.databases.oracle, a statistical justification

From: Kim Hughes <Kim=Hughes%NA%Contractors_at_bangate.compaq.com>
Date: 1995/12/05

nolan_at_carrot.tssi.com (Michael Nolan) wrote:

> According to my records, the number of messages posted on a daily basis to
> comp.databases.oracle in the past few weeks is as follows:
>
> Nov 12 59
> Nov 13 93
> Nov 14 86
> Nov 15 102
> Nov 16 129
> Nov 17 138
> Nov 18 97
> Nov 19 103
> Nov 20 118
> Nov 21 79
> Nov 22 115
> Nov 23 85
> Nov 24 91
> Nov 25 49
> Nov 26 62
> Nov 27 125
> Nov 28 95
> Nov 29 140
> Nov 30 187
> Dec 1 114
>
> With a peak of 187 messages and an average of 103/day, it seems to me
> like a split is justified. (The breakdown is based on when messages
> arrived at my news site, there is always the possibility that my newsfeed
> is incomplete, too.)
>
> I'm working on gathering statistics for various threads/subjects, and will
> have that information posted later this week. That should give us some
> indication as to what groups make the most sense based on current traffic.
>
> Two general comments: I find it unlikely that the recruiters would honor
> restricting jobs-related posts to a comp.databases.oracle.jobs category, and
> although it would be desirable to have Oracle active in a
> comp.databases.oracle.announce newsgroup, having Oracle folks serving as
> the moderator (as I think someone suggested) is not a good idea, because
> there are 3rd parties to whom this group should be equally accessible.
> --
> Mike Nolan
> nolan_at_tssi.com

Mike,

        I am not so sure the statement of Recuriters would not restrict their job postings to the jobs category. The reason being, someone looking could go to one category instead of scanning through a very large list. I think the serious recruiters would rather have their own area just for that reason.

D. Kim Hughes Received on Tue Dec 05 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message