Re: Calling external process from stored procedure

From: Robert Goodwin <robert.goodwin_at_msfc.nasa.gov>
Date: 1995/12/05

In article <49uvfb$srt_at_rhino.cis.vutbr.cz>,

   Vlado Fedacko <fedacko_at_frode.dcit.cz> wrote:
>Hello,
>I'd like to ask if there's any chance of calling external process from
>stored procedure or how to solve this situation - I have a system which
>is working with data stored in Oracle (and manipulated there) and from
>time to time (when some condition occurs) I need to send message to
>runtime part of system and I can't afford have that (runtime part)
>waiting in loop and from time to time read something. The best way
>(maybe) would be if I could use blocking read on pipe or something like
>that.

You might want to take a look at the DBMS_PIPE package. Although I haven't actually used it, I understand it will allow you to call an external process from a database trigger. The catch is that the external process has to be running, basically sleeping. From what I can gather, there is no way to actually execute an external process from a stored procedure. Hope this helps.

       :
      /^\
     :   :
     :___:
___.^:_._:^._______________________________________________________________
   :_:|=|:_:  Robert Goodwin        :  phone:  (205)461-4582
   : :|.|: :  Database Development  :  fax:    (205)461-4999
   :-/|.|\-:  New Technology, Inc.  :
   :/ |.| \:  Huntsville, AL        :
   :_:(|):_:  NASA/MSFC             :  e-mail: robert.goodwin_at_msfc.nasa.gov
   /\\   //\

   //\ /\\