Oracle vs. Informix

From: Steve Chell <steve_at_nezsdc.fujitsu.co.nz>
Date: 1995/12/05

I come from an Informix background and I was wondering how Informix compares with Oracle. Is there an FAQ which answers this?

Note: I'm not wanting to start an "Oracle is better than Informix" (or vice-versa) debate, but I would like some info as to how the following features compare:

  1. Development tools. (Does Oracle have a 4GL?)
  2. SQL syntax - any major differences?
  3. Table & row locking.
  4. Transactions. eg, does Oracle support nested transactions?
  5. Robustness/reliability.
  6. Backup & restore.
  7. Any other major differences worth noting.

Thanks very much for any and all assistance.

Steve Chell                                        steve_at_nezsdc.fujitsu.co.nz
Fujitsu NZ Ltd, Auckland, New Zealand                      FAX: +64.9.3564851