Re: RAID Storage

From: George Dau <gedau_at_mim.com.au>
Date: 1995/12/02

Randy Fought <foughtrl_at_ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu> wrote:

>We want to have a 50GB database on Oracle running
>on an Intel/NT machine. We are considering a RAID
>device as our means of storage. Do you think this is
>a good idea? If so, which RAID level would you recommend?
>
>Randy

Oh Dear! Here we go again. Welcome to RAID FLAME WAR V4.

How much money have you got, and how important are transer rates?

If you run striped mirror, you will get best transfer rates and will buy over 100Gb of disk for your storage.

If you run RAID5 you will get slower transfer rates, and will probably need about 60Gb of disk depending on the number of spindles in your array. Received on Sat Dec 02 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message