Re: Oracle 7 on NT

From: Arne Bruening <bruening_at_wmd.de>
Date: 1995/12/01

dano_at_MAIL.ATCON.COM (Danny MacDonald) wrote:

>mikephil_at_metropolis.nl (Mike Philippens) wrote:

>>We are considering moving our Oracle server to a Windows NT machine.
>>Currently we're running on Netware 3.12. We have to make up our mind
>>about Netware 4.x or NT, so I'm wondering what will be the best
>>choice. Areas of concern are:

>>-memory requirements (for both Oracle and the nos),
>>-stability,
>>-performance

>I always prefer NT because it uses raw TCP/IP which is more secure and
>has less overhead than the way I believe Netware works. Netware stacks
>protocols over TCP/IP I think and thus there is a lot of security
>issues and overhead (i.e. slower transfer rates).

>I am not an expert at Netware so could be wrong ... :)

What's wrong with using SPX, especially as it's the way the work now on NW 3.12. And switching from NetWare to NT means that you'll have to add lots of RAM and CPU to gain the same performance as under NetWare.

        Arne

---*** final beta signature. Release-version soon to be released ***---

Arne Bruening, WMD GmbH, Hamburg, Germany