Re: Wish they all could be California....

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1995/12/01

In article <1995Nov16.010957.16299_at_nosc.mil> Louise Miller <miller_at_louise.ucsd.edu> writes:
>I'm an applications programmer, so please bear with me.
>
>We have an odd problem with system date/time. We are running Oracle 7.1.3
>on a UNIX system V host, and the tools are running on a Novell network
>using SQLNET 2.1.4.1.4. We have users in several locations using different
>networked servers to execute their Forms.
>
>The problem: On some of the machines, when Oracle is asked for the
>system date/time, it will sometimes respond with a time that is 7 hours
>ahead of Pacific Standard Time. The hosts have the correct time. I have
>no idea where to start looking to resolve this problem, but since we
>date/timestamp the users' data entry, they are understandably annoyed. I
>can see no obvious pattern in when the time will be correct and when it will
>be incorrect.

Perhaps you need to set the TZ environment before you start anything on any machine. That is, if you start Oracle in /etc/rc.2d (or whatever), be sure TZ has been set. I'm guessing this because I can envision a situation where you start Oracle manualy, and your account has it set, then you reboot the machine to start it automatically, where root doesn't have it set (or vice versa if some of your users don't have it set...). The same applies to cron scripts. Don't forget to export it for bourne based shells!

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>