Re: ORACLE for Linux

From: Marian Collins-Steding <collins_at_vaxrob.pto.ford.com>
Date: 1995/12/01

Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 01:08:43 GMT

Wow,

after a hard weekend, I'm very happy to tell, linux seems to be able to serve an oracle V7 database!

I successfully installed from CD an
oracle V 7.0.16.4.0 for SCO Unix
on my linux V 1.2.1 system
using the iBCS2 emulator V 1.2-950308

I expected to have many errors with the emulator -- I got none!

  Dear LINUX people, you did and you all do a great job! Thanks for that.

I was shure, to have some minor problems with the oracle installation

--
I was and I am surprised, how bad coded oracle installations are.
I know, the base product is very good in many aspects (the reason for

  ORACLE people, shame on you!

The database is not tested really until now, but it was possible to
install

- base RDBMS
- PL/SQL extension
- distributed extension
- SQL*Net V1 and V2
- SQL*Plus
- a database with default sizes, creation of data dictionary was
successfull I'll do more tests by installing a real database from one of my projects. If anybody is interested in details, I'll tell them. regards Georg -- ___ ___ | + | |__ ' Georg Rehfeld, D-20535 Hamburg, Jordanstr. 8, [49] (40) 2518356 |_|_\ |___, georg_at_deerwood.hanse.de