Re: Power Objects - Is there a market?

From: <phantom_at_phantom_at_phantom_at_dorsai.org>
Date: 1995/11/30

In <49fvdc$1gak_at_usenetp1.news.prodigy.com>, HCWL66A_at_prodigy.com (Twila Upchurch) writes:
>I have just started hearing about Oracle Power Objects and am wondering
>if I should get training in it. Does anyone have an opinion on whether
>or not Power Objects will be widely used in the near future?
>
>tf

IMHO Power Objects (PW) will be used wide spread. Unlike most other development systems, it is truly cross platform. WIN31, Mac version already available, OS/2 to come soon (Jan 96?) and WIN95, WinNT supposedly by July 96.

There aren't too many other development systems, especially ones that come with their own database system (Blaze) that are also cross platform. What there are out there are also much more expensive than the initial pricing ($99 now, $399 later). Plus, this system, unlike the other cross platform solutions, is truly object oriented.

So, is there a market. YOU BET!!!

I was doing my development in FoxPro. I use OS/2 and also have clients who use OS/2. I wasn't going to see FoxPro for OS/2 so I started looking for something else.

Plus, Oracle has an excellent reputation for database systems. And, PW will connect as a front end with any of Oracle's databases, and uses ODBC to connect with others, as well as having native drivers for some other formats.

What's not to like?

A name brand company with a good db rep, an excellent, cross platform tool - YES!

My 2 cents.

Mark S. Halegua Received on Thu Nov 30 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message