Re: Need Information on Oracle-DB2 connectivity

From: John R. Call - Boeing, Wichita <b540jc_at_wbv1.bems.boeing.com>
Date: 1995/11/30

> Need Information on Oracle-DB2 connectivity
>
> Bruno GEORGES <georgeb_at_worldnet.net> wrote:

> I am currently writing a report on recommending solutions on
 connectivity
> issues: communications between our Oracle databases and our DB2
 databases.
> I know that oracle provides some gateway or similar products, but I'd
 like
> to have some advice coming from a person who has already implemented
 such
> architecture .
> Is there somebody who can help me in my investigations?? I'll really
 appriciate it!!
> Bruno GEORGES
> georgeb_at_worldnet.net

George,
We have been using Oracle's Transparent Gateway to DB2 for about a year. It allows an application to connect to an Oracle instance and then transparently access DB2 from there (via Oracle database links) as if DB2 were just another Oracle instance. The gateway handles EBCDIC to ASCII conversion and converting Oracle SQL syntax to DB2 SQL syntax. It allows both read and write to DB2 (with 2 phase commit) as well as cross DBMS joins (i.e. distributed query), although this often does not perform too well. We will be soon testing another Oracle TGW product called TGW to DRDA, which will provide similar functionality, but will be hosted on a UNIX server instead of the mainframe and will connect directly to DB2's DDF (Distributed Data Facility) via IBM's DRDA protocol.

Another note, both of these gateways require SQL*Net at both ends for network connectivity, and both provide a "one way" solution--i.e. Oracle to DB2 but NOT DB2 to Oracle.

Hope that helps some.

       _/     _/     _/   _/     _/      //  The Boeing Company
      _/     _/_/_/_/    _/             //  Wichita, Kansas
_/   _/     _/    _/     _/     _/     //  (316) 526-9466
_/_/_/ _/  _/      _/ _/ _/_/_/_/ _/  //  b540jc_at_wbv1.bems.boeing.com