Re: Connecting Delphi / WfW3.11 to Oracle / HP-UX sql server?

From: Sylvain Taccucci <staccuc_at_riq.qc.ca>
Date: 1995/11/29

stico!hoover_at_dim.chemie.uni-bielefeld.de (Uwe Schuerkamp) wrote:

>Dear netters,

>we're trying to connect to an Oracle Sql server running on an HP UX
>host using Delphi 1.0 under Windows 3.11. We have tried to find out
>about how to do this with the Borland support line, but people there
>have been extremely unhelpful telling us to obtain a valid contract
>first before they would answer such questions.

>All we would like to know if it is possible with an out-of-the-box
>delphi installation (or out-of-the-CD, rather :-) to access the SQL
>server running on the HP-UX machine. It has an entry in /etc/services
>on port 1525 which points to the name "orasrv".

Without the Client/Server version of Delphi you can do this only by using an ODBC driver for Oralce and using the Delphi BDE configuration utility to use the ODBC driver. In this configuration you hace 2 layer of software, BDE talks to ODBC who then talks to Oracle, so it can be a bit slow...
With the Client/Server version of Delphi, Borland supply BDE driver to connect to Oracle so you just have to install the Oracle SQL*LINK driver. I use it for reaching Oracle running under OpenVMS without problem.

Goof luck. Received on Wed Nov 29 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message