Re: automatic unique key genration

From: Kevin Woolley <kjw1_at_stirling.ac.uk>
Date: 1995/11/29

Michael Hollingsworth <mholling_at_nova.umuc.edu> wrote:
>Does anyone know if oracle supports automatic key generation. I
>would like to have the primary key generated automatically as part of a
>trigger whenever a record is inserted. I know that some databases have
>this object/function built in as part of their SQL extensions.
>
>My company is moving to client/server and this feature would be nice.
>
>Thanks for any info.
>
>Mike

>Michael Hollingsworth mholling_at_nova.umuc.edu

Define the table key column as number(8) or similar. Create a sequence, and then glue the two together using a trigger.

* Kevin Woolley *       WoolleySoft.  Producers of         *
*               * Landscape Explorer & Landscape Animator  *
*               *  3D Landscape, Satellite image and Map   *
*               *          Visualization software          *
*  Author-Member: Association of Shareware Professionals   *
* email: 100332.2104_at_compuserve.com or kjw1_at_stirling.ac.uk *
* www:   http://www.stir.ac.uk/~kjw1r/home.html            *