Re: Oracle 7 on NT

From: Stephen Atkinson <atkinson_at_world.net>
Date: 1995/11/29

Randy Fought <foughtrl_at_ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu> wrote:

>Mike,
> We have been testing Oracle on an Intel/NT machine
>for several months. We have been somewhat pleased. The
>only main problem has been NT's lack of a good priority
>system for allowing multiple processes to run. Quite
>often the server will commit all of its time to a RDBMS
>query and not allow anything else to work. Also, when
>a client is running SQL*PLUS they get 'locked out' of
>doing anything else until the query is finished.

Randy,

  1. Could you please elaborate on the 'server commiting all it's time to a RDBMS query'?

We run Oracle 7.1 on NT 3.5 and never see this problem. Just luck I guess, but I would like to know the preconditions.

ps: Have you followed Oracle's suggestions for the priority settings when configuring your NT/Oracle server?

pps: I've you want to be sure it's a NT thread scheduling issue you could try using PVIEW to modify the priorities while the processes are running.

2) The SQL*PLUS issue is a client software issue.

We avoid this by running the clients on NT rather that Win 3.1. If you run SQL*PLUS in a seperate memory space then you don't get 'locked out'   Received on Wed Nov 29 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message