Re: LOTS OF DATA, how do I delete it?

From: Kim Ng <kimmng_at_eskimo.com>
Date: 1995/11/29

Make sure that the indexes you have are the only ones you need to perform the delete (the less indexes remaining the better). Anyway, it may be better to re-build the indexes after deleting so many records. It may, however, takes more time. You will definitely have to test this out. I have made the same suggestion to a guy with similar problem. He had 4 or 5 indexes on the table. By following the above, he was able to reduce the time needed to 0.25 of the original time.

By the way, have you investigated if the deletion of so much data will defragment you table ? I have never been a DBA so I do not know the answer to this.

Have fun,

Kim Ng Received on Wed Nov 29 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message