ODS (Operational Data Stores)

From: Gregory P. Lechkun <greg_lechkun_at_msn.com>
Date: 1995/11/28

Hi,

I'm new here so please be patient. I'm working on a project where we are trying to move a portion our proprietary realtime database (ABB-SC, Asea Brown Brovia-System Controls) to an Oracle database. The problem is that we need to access this sql database in "near realtime" terms (less than 60 seconds). One problem is that our ABB-SC database contains approximately 140,000 points (again, to be updated within 60 seconds which works out to be 2333 tps). Now what is important to us is that the data is available to our client-server applications as oppose to warehousing the information.

As someone had said, what we need is an ODS (Operational Data Store). As we were told, an ODS is an sql database but tuned for having data available at that time it is needed as oppose to insuring the data integrity.

This term of ODS is totally foreign to me.

Where can I find more information about ODS's?! Does this sound right or am I going into the wrong direction?!

Gregory Lechkun
Detroit Edison
greg_lechkun_at_msn.com
313-237-9445 Received on Tue Nov 28 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message