Re: ORA 1556 maximum nuber of 99 extents allowed

From: Russell Gold <RussellJG_at_gnn.com>
Date: 1995/11/28

In article <49d7da$31j_at_news.mountain.net> Ravi S. Vedula wrote:
>Hi
>I am having this problem after I load a lot of data into my table
> structure.
>The error message I get is ORA 1556 maximum nuber of 99 extents allowed
>. I increased the extents size for most of the tables to a 1000 while some
>remained at 99 . Now I get the same error message
>but it says that 121 extents have been reached. I am not sure what I am
> doing
>wrong. I used the alter table to increase the extents. It disables my
>entire system . Has anyone had similar problems . I would appreciate
>any hints/help in this regard. Thanks
>
>Ravi
>vedula_at_rbse.mountain.net
>
>PS I am using ORACLE RDBMS V6.0.37.6.1 for SUNOS.

I guess the solution here will be to make your table big enough ( INITIAL )  or make the NEXT parameter bigger to begin with, use the STORAGE parameter in the create table statement. Having a table with this many segments is inefficient. The number of extents is dependent on your block size ( specified at create time ).

create table abc
( abc varchar2(10) )
tablespace work
storage ( initial 1m next 1m pctincrease 0 ) ; Received on Tue Nov 28 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message