Re: Forms setting Package Vars ?

From: David Hermann <dhe_at_phcs.phcs.com>
Date: 1995/11/28

In article <49a0eq$bna_at_its.hooked.net>, Craig <caharper_at_hooked.net> writes:

|> I have a forms 4.5 app that has an attached lib, the lib is a
|> package ( body and spec). There are a number of variables on
|> the speck side that get populated with an init package procedure.
|>
|> That works fine.
|>
|> I am trying to update these variables with data generated from
|> the form side. I have tried the following methods with no
|> luck:
|>
|> 1. COPY('block.item','package_name.variable'); -- no update
|> 2. package_name.variable := :item; -- no update
|>
|> 3. CREATED PROCEDURE TO UPDATE VARIABLE AS FOLLOWS:
|> set_pack_variable(var IN varchar2);
|>
|> Pasckage Body
|> set_pack_variable(var IN VARCHAR2) IS -- no update
|> BEGIN
|> pack_var := var;
|> END;
I don't think anyone else has answered this yet....

(1) won't work because COPY only knows about form fields and variables

      (e.g. :GLOBAL.<var> and :SYSTEM.MESSAGE_LEVEL)

(2) won't work because of a bug in the handling of public variables

      in packages. It ought to work, but currently doesn't.

(3) should work, and looks like a workaround I've used before. What

      does your notation "no update" mean?  Do you get an error message?
      When/how are you evaluating PACK_VAR after the call to
      SET_PACK_VARIABLE ?  Are you keeping in mind that each Oracle
      session has its own value of PACK_VAR ?  I.e., your Forms session
      could set PACK_VAR to 'abc', but a different Forms session, or a
      SQL*Plus session, etc., could have PACK_VAR = 'def'.

I'm also confused about your "attached lib" being a package. Are you   doing something other than defining your package in the database? Received on Tue Nov 28 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message