[HELP]: PL/SQL Exceptions to Forms4.

From: Christopher Muir <st952943_at_pilot.stu.cowan.edu.au>
Date: 1995/11/27

Howdy.

Hope you can help me.

Have implemented the following trigger in SQL*+ PL/SQL:

CREATE TRIGGER AFFILIATION_TRIGGER
  BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE OF Start_Date, End_Date ON Affiliation   FOR EACH ROW
  DECLARE
    My_Exception EXCEPTION;
  BEGIN
    IF :New.Start_Date > :New.End_Date THEN       RAISE My_Exception;
    END IF;
  END;
/

What the trigger is simply meant to do is ensure that start_date is less than or equal to end_date. If not it should call the exception My_Exception.

Now when I goto Forms4 and create a form on table affiliation, I do get a raised error if the condition is true (ie start_date > end_date). However Oracle comes up with its standard FRM-40508: ORACLE err - unable to INSERT record. I don't want this. I want to capture this error and display a user friendly error to the message.

How do I capture the exception?

Note that I have not declared the exception in the PL/SQL or the Forms4. It is as is above.

Hope you can help, and thanks in advance :>

Please send any reply to email address below.

Chris.

  • "Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a *
  • thing to be waited for: it is a thing to be achieved." *
    *st952943_at_Pilot.Stu.Cowan.Edu.Au***EDITH COWAN UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA*