Re: ORA 1556 maximum nuber of 99 extents allowed

From: Charles Dye <cdye_at_dnt.dialog.com>
Date: 1995/11/27

Ravi,

The maximum number of extents is a function of your database blocksize. You can do an alter table to set it to a high value, but for a 2K block size, the maxmimum number of extents is 121. For 8K blocksize, the max is 505.

You will be better off making the SIZE of your extents bigger because the only way you can change the block size is to rebuild your entire db.

ALTER TABLE mytable
STORAGE (next 50M pctincrease 0)

This will make it so that all newly allocated extents are 50Meg. If your table already has a lot of extents (over 20 or so) you might as well rebuild it with the appropriate storage parameters.

Regards,
Charles_Dye_at_corp.dialog.com