ProCobol precompiler problem

From: Dennis Buddenborg <thebuddman_at_delphi.com>
Date: 1995/11/27

We are receiving the error message "Value too long for data item or has too many decimal postions" when attempting to precompile our MicroFocus COBOL programs. The cause of the problem is that the precompiler wants to insert a ten position numeric value in the SQLCTX variable, which is defined as S9(9) comp. We never encountered this error prior to migrating to a server with a much larger disk subsystem ( 40 GB versus 4GB).

Oracle Support says that it is a known bug (#286704, 300668, 301337, and 293481) and is indeed related to the size of the file system. Their workaround of putting the INCLUDE files in either the ORACLE_HOME/sqllib/public or /tmp directories didn't work. Oracle's fix is upgrade to RDBMS v7.2.3 and ProCobol v1.7.3. The only problem is that this release isn't available, yet! Some solution, huh?

Anyway, I was hoping that someone out there may have experienced this same problem and had a solution.

Thanks in advance,

Dennis Buddenborg
Principle DBA Consultant Received on Mon Nov 27 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message