Re: backup versus export of db

From: Brian Graham <GrahamB_at_psac.com>
Date: 1995/11/27

In article <30B36985.4895_at_SHL.com>, Neil Greene <ngreene_at_SHL.com> says:

>Barry Roomberg wrote:
>>
>> metco_at_earth.execpc.com (Milwaukee Tool) wrote:
>>
>> >I've been told by a Value-Added-Resaler of Oracle that if i want to backup
>> >an oracle 7 db, i should first do a full export, and then backup up the
>> >exported file.
>> >They said that a simple backup of the files used by oracle isn't good enough.
>> >The reason given went something like this,

>> > "while oracle is running, it leaves certain files open. Consequently,
>> > if you do a simple backup of the filesystem on which oracle resides,
>> > even if no db transactions are pending, you aren't guaranteed to
>> > capture the complete, latest state of the data."

>> >Can you shed any light on this statement? If basically true, what is really
>> >meant by "leaving files open"? My interest in knowing goes beyond the
>> >question of how to backup the db - I am also trying to decide if i there's
>> >enough benefit to warrant mirroring the disk partition(s) that hold the db.

>> >Thanks much for any help you lend.

>> >Jon Detert, metco_at_execpc.com, 414.783.8527

Exports are DEFINATELY worthwhile. Others have mentioned HOT backups. Look these up in the manual. Without following this procedure, simply doing a backup of the files will NOT be good enough. I would recommend the periodic backup with the rdbms down, as well, if possible.

We have mirroring on our Novell rdbms and Raid 5 on our unix rdbms. Added protection of your data is always worthwhile (archiving), but there is a cost associated.

--
Brian