Re: Move database files in DOS & OS/2

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/11/24

dsi_at_indirect.com (Milt Peterson) wrote:

>This was posted several months ago, but I didn't need the answer then.

>What files or tables must be modified to move the database files from one logical
>drive to another? I don't really want to do an export, reload the RDBMS and
>then import.

>Thanks in advance...

>Milt Peterson
>DeLair Systems, Inc., Phoenix, AZ

Here's how I've done it in the past. I don't modify any tables directly.

  1. backup the control file ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE;
  2. Shutdown the database.
  3. Move the datafiles to their new locations.
  4. Cut out the script section of the .trc file created in step 1 (it's easlily located by looking for the file in your trace directory with the most recent date) and turn it into a SQL script file, modifying the datafile names to reflect the new locations.
  5. Startup the database using the script created in step 4.

It's as easy as pi. :-)

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com

If at first you don't succeed, sky-diving isn't for you.