Development Environment under Oracle

From: Stef Viljoen <stef_at_columbus.co.za>
Date: 1995/11/23

We have just recently converted to Oracle and are experiencing problems with the setting-up of our development environment. Our requirements are as follows:

The development environment should consist of three different 'levels'.

These are: 1) An environment for new development where changes to the

		metadata are usually quite extensive and new projects are
		initialized from.
	   2) An environment where day-to-day changes are made to exsisting
		systems, and where these changes can be tested. Due to the
		complexity of our data, we need a coplete copy of our production
		database here.
	   3) An environment where applications can undergo final compilation
		and where the database should be an exact copy of the production
		database, but without any data (an empty shell).

Our database sizes in the range of 20 gigabytes and because of space constraints have only managed to implement the test environment. We are now batteling to get the empty database (point 3 above) in place. We have tried exporting the production metadata but the storage parameters are included in the export. These can be edited out but it is a very time consuming job.

Any ideas of how to handle this?
How do other Oracle sites setup their development environments?? Any suggestions are most welcome.

Stef Viljoen. -- stef_at_columbus.co.za   Received on Thu Nov 23 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message