Re: Disk I/O changes

From: Doug Smith <dsmith_at_gulfaero.com>
Date: 1995/11/22

In article <48qafh$da0_at_wind.cargill.com> dhackbar_at_fert_mpls.cargill.com (Derek A. Hackbardt) writes:
>From: dhackbar_at_fert_mpls.cargill.com (Derek A. Hackbardt)
>Subject: Disk I/O changes
>Date: 20 Nov 1995 16:30:41 GMT

>Hi all! I'm in the process of putting together a proposal for improving
>the reliability of one of our production RS/6000 systems. This 58H is
>running two Oracle databases for our business systems.

>Here's the plan I have for the system....Key requirements for the system are:
>
> * Reasonable cost
> * Doesn't affect performance (within reason)
> * Minimal downtime for repairs
> * Have room for expansion in the future

>The proposal which I am developing calls for:

> * 2 IBM-7131 SCSI Multi-storage towers ( Hot swappable bays )
> One tower being the primary drives and the second a mirror.
> * RAID 0 on the database datafiles.
> * On-line storage of the database hot-backup and archive logs.
> * Off-site storage of nightly tape backups.

>Does this seem like a resonable solution to anyone? RAID-5 is a bit pricey
>and I've heard that it isn't the best route for Oracle databases...

>Thanks,
>-Derek

>--
>Derek A. Hackbardt
>System Administrator, Cargill Fertilizer Inc.
>(813) 671-6291
>Derek_Hackbardt_at_cargill.com

Be sure to put some of your files on non-stripped disks for better performance such as the redo-log files and mirror them. Anything that is written sequentially not randomly. Be sure you also have SOME disk cache (ie. 32-64 meg.).

I hope this IBM raid controller is fast. We have BOXHILL raid that has mutiple buses, cache, random reads and writes. A standard raid controller moves all disk heads at the same time not independently and has one i/o bus. This makes it MUCH slower. If you are going raid, you need to have an enhanced controller.

Hope this helps. Received on Wed Nov 22 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message